Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Forum - different ways to communicate

This night (local european time), i received a message from Beth, who wrote to me that she created a Forum via delphiforums (the exact link being: http://forums.delphiforums.com/jrrtolkien/start ) .
She asked me to post this link on the blog - Beth you could have done so as well by the way - but I will certainly offer her the chance to advertise for this way of communication - which is closer to the old one.
As I stated when creating the Blog, this is not the only possible sollution, although in the first few days it has been well accepted !
Certainly a Blog has advantages to a Forum in certain points, but the other way round is true as well !
There also is the possibility to run both ways of talking at the same time, ......
             but what do I say, it is the members who have to decide what is best for them.

So the chance is offered, but nothing decided yet...
telco

5 comments:

  1. Telco, I think it's good to have a forum as well. The forum and the blog should be linked in such a way that participants to either of them can easily access the other. This may also increase traffic, which can only be good in my opinion.

    I registered there (or indeed I was already registered...) and I'll keep visiting both places, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking along the same lines as you, John.
    A forum will enable us to have more indepth conversations about a specific subject, while it will also allow us to catalogue and categorize posts.
    Here, however, we can talk about random subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alavaro: yes, we can talk about anything here on the Home page, while the static pages will be a source of knowledge and information, as telco intended them to be.

    I surely hope to be able to help with the Book Reviews section, though I can't promise anything right now.

    I guess it's always a good idea to have the information that defines the blog readily accessible, while on the forum we can start from a topic and then move on to any direction with it. In this respect the Home page of the blog served the same purpose, but the forum has the advantage of being better structured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to agree with you, John.
    in fact this means to have a structured forum for various discussions, leading in different directions and a blog to sum up the results and talk about other news...
    at least it seems to be going that way

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems forums are also better for long term discussions... Which are quite common with us.
    Though my inexperience with blogs is undoubtedly to blame for this, I also find blogs quite awkward to navigate.

    ReplyDelete