Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Selected Tolkienforum.co.uk Archive

Dear friends,

Seeing how HarperCollins closed down tolkienfourm.co.uk today, I consider it is the right time to make available my work from last week. What I'm talking about is the archive of the forum, which HC did not agree to hand over.

I did not save everything on the forum, but I believe you will find that the most interesting discussions are among the files I deemed worthy of preservation.

I compiled the archive in two formats: Word document & Adobe pdf. I will provide links to download either of these archives. The pdf is larger in size, and my recommendation is that you download the doc archive instead; the pdf nevertheless is sure to work on any kind of computer without fear of changed fonts, non-openable documents, etc. If you use Microsoft Word 2003 or 2007 there should be absolutely no problem with the doc archive.

There are multiple links for each archive, to have an alternative just in case you cannot download from one of them. The second link for each (Transfer.ro) is the most straightforward: there are no waiting times or complicated page navigation issues, but it only works for 10 days, after that the files getting deleted by the hosting server.

DOC ARCHIVE LINKS

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVI3THNJ - Megaupload link

http://dl.transfer.ro/Selected_Tolkienforum.co.uk_Archive_.DOC-transfer_RO-08feb-d6967d.zip
- Transfer.ro link (this will only work until 18 February)

http://rapidshare.com/files/446826929/Selected_Tolkienforum.co.uk_Archive_.DOC.zip - Rapidshare link


PDF ARCHIVE LINKS

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9DR7C6BD - Megaupload link

http://dl.transfer.ro/Selected_Tolkienforum.co.uk_Archive_.PDF-transfer_RO-08feb-31c52e.zip - Transfer.ro link
(this will only work until 18 February)

http://rapidshare.com/files/446827658/Selected_Tolkienforum.co.uk_Archive_.PDF.zip - Rapidshare link

Copy any of the links in your browser address bar and click enter. The archives are in a .zip format, which any computer should be able to unpack. After that, you'll have a folder with several subfolders containing the saved information.

6 comments:

  1. Amazing work John! You did pretty well keeping alive some of the forum spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John! It is amazing!!!
    I have saved it, backed it up, and everything!

    I was reading through some of the discussions I missed, such as comparison of Fiction and such, and I realised those are the types of talks we need to have... they were very enjoyable to read.
    Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. in a few words: John, what you have managed here is stunning, amazing and just wonderful !
    i think we can't acknowledge this enough
    what you have archived (in a double sense) here is really extraordinary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take my hat off to you, John. A little disappointing to not have the forum archive, of course, it surely would not have been so difficult to impart... But oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that only the links from Megaupload still work. So far I will let them stand as they are, in case there are people still wanting to download this, although I believe past members already did, and casual visitors of the blog will not be interested at all...

    ReplyDelete